Glow plugs are specifically designed for diesel engines. These engines are really sensitive to start. So, the glow plug plays a key role inside the engine.
If your Duramax is running slow, and it takes a while to start it, that means you’re probably needing to change your glow plugs. Looking for the Best Glow Plugs For Duramax is challenging, as it needs some special requirements.
For your convenience, I have assembled the glow plugs that will fit and be suitable for your vehicle while taking budget and compatibility into consideration. You might find the one you were searching for from here.
|IMAGE||NAME & Details||DETAILS|
|#||ACDelco 12639701 9G Professional Glow Plug||Check Price|
|#||Allmotorparts Glow Plug for Duramax||Check Price|
|#||GM Genuine Parts 62G Glow Plugs||Check Price|
|#||Diesel Glow Plug for 6.6L Duramax||Check Price|
Our Selected Top 4 Best Glow Plugs For Duramax Reviews in 2022
#1. ACDelco 12639701 9G Professional Glow Plug
Coming as a piece of 1, ACDelco 12639701 9G Professional Glow Plug is a finely structured spark plug designed and tested to provide the best performance. For the diesel engine present in a Duramax, this efficient spark plug can deliver the heat needed for the cold starts.
In addition, these high-quality replacements can improve throttle response and maintain ignition in the cylinders.
ACDelco GM Original Equipment parts were formerly known as genuine OE parts, so you won’t have to be worried about their originality. This robust steel spark plug is automated to maintain the electricity flow from the battery while preventing overheating.
This compatible spark plug even ranges from 21mm to 40mm to fit multiple chambers standard in most Duramax engines.
Benefits and Reasons to use:
- ACDelco 12639701 9G Professional Glow Plug is self-regulated. Therefore, it can easily maintain the electrical flow from the battery.
- This efficient spark plug can supply the heat necessary for the cold starts for the diesel engines. For this, the machines can get started on the very first attempt.
- The glow plug can reduce the overheating in the engines. It ensures that the temperature stays within a limit that it doesn’t harm the engine.
- This compatible glow plug can fit any engine with a range from 21mm to 40mm, even if it has multiple chambers. As a result, it is most compatible with most of the Duramax engines.
- Coil: GN-type Regulating Coil
- Material: Steel
- Voltage: 11 VDC
- Seat: Conical
- Hex Size: 12mm
- Thread: 10mm
Specification: ACDelco 12639701 9G Professional Glow Plug is created, engineered, and examined to the demanding standard. This is backed by General Motors. With a GN-type regulating coil, this efficient spark plug is of steel and 5.37in. in length. In addition, a conical seat with a threaded terminal is used.
Attributes: This durable spark plug has a good set of features. The spark plug can give the diesel engines present in the Duramax to heat for the cold start. This self-regulated glow plug can control the electricity flow from the battery and avoid overheating.
Compatibility: This efficient spark plug is a pack of compatible vehicles like Duramax, Cadillac. It even rages from 21mm – 40mm to fit the multiplex chambers and is easy to install in cars. In addition, GM updates the production and service parts for combining the new materials and technologies.
- ACDelco 12639701 9G Professional Glow Plug is a budget and user-friendly spark plug. Being the best seller, it can perform its expected functions very smoothly.
- This sturdy glow plug can maintain the electrical flow from the battery. It is a self-controlled spark plug helping the engine to run smoothly.
- The robust spark plug is compatible with most Duramax vehicles as it fits the multiple chambers while ranging from 21mm – 40mm.
- For the diesel engines, cold starts require a heat supply. The spark plug meets the requirement by providing heat.
- ACDelco 12639701 9G Professional Glow Plug is a well-performing spark plug with a variety of functions. But it has to be installed and taken out very carefully because they can break.
#2. Allmotorparts Glow Plug for Duramax
Glow plugs are manufactured and engineered so that they can meet and exceed the users’ expectations. With a relatively simplistic design, this sturdy spark plug can prevent vibrations and corrosion. This well-structured glow plug provides high resistance and comes with a smooth texture delivering safety to you and your Duramax.
Coming as a piece of 1, this efficient spark plug is automated and can control the current flow from the battery while ensuring the temperature doesn’t rise much. It can pre-heat the surroundings around the combustion engine, and as a result, you can have an instant start in the diesel engines.
While the installation process is simple, this reasonably priced glow plug is compatible with vehicles like Chevy, Duramax, Sierra, and so on.
Benefits and Reasons to use:
- This glow plug is an all-motor-parts aftermarket replacement product. Coming with one piece, these are compatible with a considerable number of vehicles.
- This productive spark plug can ensure a quicker start and acceleration even in unfavorable weather. Moreover, it is even of a reasonable price.
- The glow plug can bring down the misfires in the engine to a greater degree. It makes the vehicle work fine and stay put while eliminating the engine knockouts.
- This self-regulated glow plug can maintain the electrical flow from the battery. Thus, it prevents overheating from taking place.
- Material: Steel
- Weight: 1.44 ounces
- Manufacturer: Allmotorparts
- Thread size: 10mm
- Programming Required: No
- Electrical Connector Quantity: 1
Compatibility: The glow plug can be installed into many vehicles, Compatible with Chevy GMC 6.6 LBZ LGH LLY LML LMM Duramax – 2006-2016 Silverado 2500 HD, Sierra 2500 HD, Savana 2500, 2007-2016 Silverado 3500 HD Sierra 3500 HD. It is an all-motor-parts aftermarket replacement plug.
Functions: This effective spark plug can supply heat to the surroundings and air of the combustion engine. By this, it can make the vehicle start very quickly, even in the cold weather. In addition, the self-controlled plug can maintain the battery current flow and prevent it from overheating.
Attributes: This great spark plug gives in high resistance with a smooth texture ensuring safety to you. This productive glow plug can prevent corrosion and vibrations. In addition, it has an effective mechanism to restrict the harm to the vehicles as much as possible.
- The all-motor-parts glow plug is an efficient spark plug with a simplistic design and a smooth texture with high resistance. As a result, it ensures safety for you.
- This fantastic spark plug can avert corrosions and vibrations in the vehicle. In addition, it has the mechanism to limit the damage to your car as much as possible
- The installation process is pretty simple. You can install it without taking much time or effort.
- This effective spark plug can reduce the engine misfires to a more extensive scale. As a result, engine knockout does not take place, and your vehicle stays put and well.
- The glow plug is well-priced but is not a set. But the whole system has to be changed if one piece breaks down.
#3. GM Genuine Parts 62G Glow Plug:
GM Genuine Parts 62G Glow Plug is a fine product that is used all over the world. It has been to meet and exceed the expectations of its users. Coming as a piece of 1, this great plug is designed, engineered, and tested to provide the exact results while reducing the harm to the vehicle.
This self-regulated spark plug controls the current flow from the battery and prevents it from overheating in any way.
With a GN-type regulating coil, this glow plug can quickly provide the required heat to the diesel engine for starting. It has a wide array of applications that can meet the chamber requirements in your vehicle, like Duramax.
Benefits and Reasons to use:
- The glow plug is compatible with a good number of vehicles while performing a good set of functions. Moreover, it fits right without showing much complexity.
- The effective spark plug can help the vehicle eliminate engine misfires. For this, engine knockouts are evaded, and your car runs smoothly for a long time.
- It has the capability of supplying heat to the air around the engine. Thus, quicker starts and acceleration takes place.
- Spark plug’s range is up to 40 mm and can fit the multiple chambers in a car with a diesel engine. In addition, this self-controlled plug ensures the durability of your vehicle as it prevents it from being harmed.
- Material: Steel
- Coil: GN-type regulating coil
- Thread size: 10mm
- Seat: Conical
- Range: 21mm – 40mm
- Voltage: 11 VDC
Description: This incredible glow plug is made of steel with a conical seat. The terminal is threaded, and the threaded terminal is 4mm. With a 10mm thread, the sparkplug’s length is 5.37in. The coil is a GN-type regulating coil.
Features: The effective glow plug features a comprehensive set of attributes. The self-regulated plug can maintain the flow of electricity from the battery.
It ensures that the temperature doesn’t get too high. In cold weather, it gets tougher to start diesel engines but not with this plug as it can supply the required to the engine.
Qualities: The allmotorparts glow plug is made for technologically advanced vehicles. With a range of up to 40mm, it can easily fit multiple chambers. In addition, the unique spark plug can evade misfires in cars and is proven to be durable.
- This effective glow plug is regulated by itself. It even prevents the preheating in the battery and engine.
- The glow plug provides a broad set of functions and prevents corrosion and vibrations in your vehicle. It even offers high resistance so that it can avert problems and ensure safety.
- This productive spark plug can eliminate engine knockouts and help the vehicle start quickly, even in cold weather, by providing heat to the engine.
- This self-regulated spark plug has the GN-type regulating coil. It adjusts to the car effortlessly.
- It is needed in a set, but it is available as a pack of 1. The installation process requires a professional as it can be damaged if not known how to install.
#4. Diesel Glow Plug for 6.6L Duramax LB7
The XSPANDER makes diesel glow plugs, and so far, it has successfully satisfied its users. This unique spark plug comes as a set of 8 pieces and can easily fit into many vehicles, including Duramax for the OE spec connectors.
The glow tube and the more excellent current double insulation help provide better protection to the engine and high resistance.
This well-built spark plug prevents your vehicle from corrosion and vibrations, causing the car to stay stable, even in the mountains.
Being designed to improve engines, it also ensures reliable starts even at -30 degrees Celsius, and the preheating time is 2 seconds. The conical seat secures the seal with the chamber of combustion.
Benefits and Reasons to use:
- The diesel glow plugs are designed to enhance engine performance. It allows a quicker engine start-up as the pre-heating time is only 2 seconds.
- This durable spark plug can ensure a longer life for the engine. In addition, this self-regulated glow plug prevents corrosion and vibrations due to the glow tube.
- The productive spark plug controls the electrical flow. It resists overheating and helps to reach the ideal temperature very fast.
- The superior current double insulation secures better protection and heat resistance. As a result, your engine is safe and can perform well.
- Manufacturer: XSPANDER
- Fitment Type: Direct Replacement
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Weight: 10.6 ounces
- Pre-heating Time: 2s.
- Seat: Conical
Specification: The diesel plug is a set of 8 pieces and is produced by XSLANDER. The OE spec connectors are built-in, ensuring a precise fit. With a conical seat, its pre-heating time is 2 seconds only.
Functions: This productive plug is engineered in a way that it can improve engine performance. It is reliable starting even at -30 degrees Celsius. The preheating time is short and helps to start your vehicles in one start. This self-regulated plug even prevents overheating by controlling the electrical flow.
Qualities: There is a glow tube present that eliminates corrosion and unwanted vibrations. Seal with the combustion chamber is secured by the conical seat.
Designed to enhance the diesel engine, this productive spark plug has superior current double insulation assuring heat resistance and better protection.
- OE spec connectors are built in the glow plugs. It ensures the exact fit and makes the installation process uncomplicated.
- The self-regulated spark plugs can maintain the electrical flow from the battery. For this, the temperature doesn’t rise much, and the diesel engine can work well.
- This fine spark plug is well-built. Glow tubes and excellent current insulation provide high resistance, protection to the engine while preventing unwanted vibrations and corrosion.
- The glow plug is an eight-piece set, a win as a good spark plug set is rare. In addition, the preheating time is only 2 seconds, and it is reliable starting at even minus thirty degrees Celsius.
- It can perform exceptionally well as an eight-piece set, but the repair cost is a bit much if it gets damaged. In addition, the installation guide is tough to understand.
Duramax glow plug replacement procedure
Although Duramax engines are not solely dependent on glow plugs, you might be in trouble during winter. That is why it is ideal to get the glow plugs ready early for the winter.
You need to change the glow plugs only when they wear out or you see any symptoms related to glow plug problems. You do not need to change them at regular intervals like the gas engine’s spark plugs.
Getting a crystal clear idea about the replacement procedure of glow plugs on Duramax engines is extremely important. Especially if you decide to go on your own.
Because you do not want to damage or break the glow plugs during the replacement. That will nothing but just push you into a world of trouble.
Don’t worry. We are here to show you the right way of replacing the glow plugs on Duramax. Continue reading to get an exact idea about how you should do it.
First of all, you can reach the glow plugs in two directions. One- from the top of the engine. Two- from the downside of the engine, after removing the fender liners.
We are going to discuss only the number two process because we think reaching from the top is not a good idea if you are not much acquainted with the engine parts.
Step 0: Soak the damaged glow plug
If you live in an area where corrosion is a problem, you might want to soak the damaged glow plugs for a couple of days before going down. It will help you to avoid breaking the glow plug.
Step 1: Disconnect the battery
After the soaking process, you have to disconnect the battery. You do not want to keep the battery active while working on some wires that are connected to the battery, do you? Because of this, the first thing you need to do is to disconnect the battery.
Step 2: Disconnect the PCM
Even though it might seem a little bit extra, we think being extra careful always pay off. Disconnect the PCM to avoid any possible troubles.
Step 3: Remove the fender liner
After completing the disconnection part, now you have to remove the fender liner. This step is pretty easy. You have to remove around 10 clips and some big harnesses that are attached from the inside to remove the fender liner. A normal socket will get the job done.
Step 4: Find the damaged glow plug
After removing the fender liner, you have to find the damaged glow plug. You may already have an idea of the location of the glow plugs. The even number of glow plugs are on the driver side and the odd number of glow plugs are on the passenger side.
Step 5: Use a proper size socket to remove the glow plug
As soon as you get the hold of the damaged glow plug, go for the removal of such glow plug. You have to start by removing the nut. Always try to buy the new glow plug with a nut.
Because chances are most of the time the old glow plug’s nut will get broken as it will be corroded. If you are done with the nut, safely place the cable aside and start removing the damaged glow plug.
Use the 12mm socket for this part. Keep in mind that you should be gentle in this part. You do not want to break the glow plug here. It will dive you into further troubles. Chances are you will search on the web, “broken glow plug removal Duramax”
Step 6: Install the new glow plug(s)
If you have multiple damaged glow plugs on your engine, you should repeat steps 4 and 5. After getting the removal process done, install the new glow plug(s). Then put the cable in it.
After that, put the nut on. Now, only the inner fender is left. Put it in its place. And you are done under the vehicle.
Step 7: Clear the code
After installing the new glow plugs, you have only one task left. Clearing the code. Do that from your ECU and you are ready to rock on the road.
Broken Glow Plug Removal
Duramax glow plug replacement cost
If you want to do it as perfectly as you can, you should not go for the cheap products. You can either buy a whole kit consisting of sockets, nuts, all eight glow plugs, wheel well liner clips, wheel well liner removal part, etc., or buy only the glow plugs. You don’t need to go for a replacement kit if you have the necessary tools already.
The replacement kit will cost around $350. And going for only the glow plugs will cost around $100 to $150. The labor cost is generally between $100 and $200.
What is LBZ Duramax glow plug?
LBZ Duramax is the 2006 year version of the Duramax engine. GM introduced it back in 2006 and stopped manufacturing in the next year. So, we can tell that LBZ Duramax glow plugs mean glow plugs used for only LBZ Duramax.
Basically, you can use the same glow plugs for every model year vehicle from 2006-2016. But you can’t use these glow plugs on previous versions. There are some differences between the first generation engines and engines after 2005.
The design of the glow plugs is not the same. For this reason, you can’t use the same glow plug on an LBZ Duramax and LB7 Duramax. However, there are some dedicated glow plugs for LBZ Duramax. You are always welcome to use them in your engine.
There is a reason for that. The compression ratio and some other factors were again changed after 2010. Now it is up to you. You should always go for the compatible and economic deal.
LBZ glow plug replacement process
The LBZ Duramax engine’s glow plug replacement process is almost the same as every Duramax engine. We have studied various forum threads and seen some of the most resourceful videos about this topic. That is why we are this much confident about our statement.
LBZ Duramax Broken Glow Plug Removal
At first, you have to gather the necessary equipment for the replacement process. Buying a glow plug replacement kit would be a wise choice if you don’t have every piece of equipment required.
After gathering all the parts, make sure the battery and PCM are disconnected. Then go under your vehicle. Remove the fender liner from there by unbolting the clips.
Then you will be able to find the glow plugs. If you know where the location of the cylinders is, it is easy to find out the glow plug number.
In this stage, you have to remain calm and careful. Start by removing the nut from there. Put the cable away and wash it for further use. Put the new glow plug at the damaged one’s place and tighten it with the nut.
Now put the fender liner back in its place. At last, clear the codes. After clearing the codes, you are all done.
LMM glow plug replacement process
It may seem a bit tough as the mechanics and experts say to be cautious frequently. But with a bit of carefulness at removing the damaged glow plug, you are not in many hassles. Start with the inner fender of your LMM Duramax. If you are done with removing the inner fender, find out the damaged glow plug.
Remove the glow plug carefully. Because you don’t want much trouble in this sector as a broken glow plug is quite hard to remove. When you finish the removal process, install the new glow plug.
And one more thing. If you think the glow plugs might be corroded, don’t go for the replacement right away. Soak the glow plugs for a couple of days. Then you can do the replacement. Otherwise, the chance of breaking the damaged glow plug will be much higher.
How to change glow plugs on 6.6 Duramax
L5P Duramax and the versions before 2017 (LML, LGH, LMM, LBZ, LLY, and LB7) were all 6.6L engines. So, you can expect that the changing procedure of glow plugs on all 6.6 Duramax will be a lot similar.
If you know some of the basics, with some research and help you can easily change the glow plugs on 6.6 Duramax.
Before heading onto the changes, if you think the glow plugs are corroded, soak them for a couple of days. You should start with the removal of the inner fender.
Then find out the problematic glow plug. It will be easy as the even number (2-4-6-8) glow plugs are on the driver side and the odd number (1-3-5-7) glow plugs are on the passenger side.
If you are done with that, remove the damaged glow plug cautiously. Don’t put too much pressure. You don’t want to break that thing. Then install the new plug(s) at the damaged one’s place and reverse everything. You are all set to rock the road now!
How to test Duramax glow Plugs
Testing the glow plugs of your Duramax engine is very important before going for a replacement of the glow plug. It is very common that sometimes the error codes do not indicate only glow plug-related problems.
The error codes also indicate problems related to the glow plug control module, problems in the cable, etc. That is why testing is the only way to determine what actually happened there. You can follow the following steps to test the glow plugs of your Duramax engine successfully.
You can test the glow plugs in three ways-
1. Testing with a clamp-meter: It is our first choice as testing the glow plugs with a clamp-meter is very safe. If the current reading is between 2A and 6A on each glow plug, the glow plugs are fine.
2. Testing with a digital multimeter: You can also test the glow plugs with a multimeter. In this case, you have to measure the resistance of the glow plugs. If the resistance reading is from 1Ohm to 6Ohm, the glow plugs are okay.
3. Testing with a glow plug tester: Although the name may seem exciting as it indicates a dedicated machine for testing glow plugs, it is not that much exciting. If the glow plug tester has a display to show ‘good’ or ‘bad’ type of results, you can rely on them. If not, chances are they will display the current. You know how to do the rest.
Finding the best glow plugs for an LB7 Duramax is really a tough task. Because this version of the Duramax is very old. Even though some of the manufacturers will provide common glow plugs for all Duramax 6.6L engines, you should not go for those. There were some major structural changes among the versions. Our best glow plugs for LB7 Duramax consists of-
- Wellman Glow Plugs Diesel Fast Start (Set of 8)
- Duramax LB7 Glow Plug Kit
- Set of New Glow Plug 2001-2005 for Chevy GMC 6.6L Duramax LB7 & Early Build LLY
Duramax glow plugs problems
Due to damaged or wore out glow plugs you will face some issues with your vehicle. And if you do not change them, you will fall into more serious problems. Let’s see what will happen to your vehicle due to a damaged glow plug.
- You will notice engine misfiring.
- You will face problems during starting
- The fuel economy will be decreased
- The idling will be rough
- You will see the white smoke and black smoke
Frequently Asked Questions
#1. Does Duramax have glow plugs?
In short, yes. Duramax engines have glow plugs. Like a diesel engine, the Duramax engine has glow plugs in spark plugs’ place. And as most of the Duramax engines are V8 engines, you will need eight glow plugs.
#2. How long do Duramax glow plugs last?
It largely depends on your driving habit. If your driving habit is good, you can easily expect over 100,000 miles. Your driving habit is important because if you can make the glow plugs remain in a good condition, you can use the glow plugs as long as they are fine.
#3. How many miles will an LB7 Duramax last?
Although LB7 Duramax is an old engine, people still love it for its performance and reliability. If your driving habit is good, you can use the LB7 Duramax engine for a very long time. And if you want to just see the number, it will be around 300,000 miles from an LB7 Duramax engine.
#4. Where is the glow plug module on a Duramax?
You will find the glow plug controller or module on the turbocharger’s driver side near the firewall. Locating the glow plug module is as much important as locating the glow plugs. Because the glow plugs will be of no use if there is not any controller.
What is the difference between a spark plug and a glow plug?
The glow plugs which can fit the Duramax easily and work well simultaneously are hard to find. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, such as price, quality, set, etc., and are very reasonable options. So it depends on you and your preference in the very end.